WCFC Big Orange 1sts (3) v New Plymouth Rangers (2)

Dan Aplin
Ants Bell (2)

Saturday saw the Big Orange Wanganui City FC 1st team take on league leaders New Plymouth Rangers at Wembley Park.
With the suspension of Thomas Sinton we brought Marcus Jones into the starting line-up and gave new Goalkeeper Brent Slight a debut start in goal ,right from kick off we were all over them creating chances to score and putting them under pressure but in the 15th min they played a long ball between the defence and opened us up like a can of DB and finished well. From the kick off we attacked again to no avail and again a long ball this time wide saw them put in a cross which was finished well leaving Brent no chance to do anything about either of them. Two nil after 17 mins, Wow, whats happening! But never fever City Supporters the lads continued to attack and put them under pressure and we finally
got rewarded with a goal from Dan Aplin off a Kyle Graham-Luke cross in the 23rd min and then again on the back of us controlling the league leaders. Ants Bell finished a slick series of one twos down the middle by rounding the keeper and tapping home the equaliser in the 28th min, the rest of the half saw a flow of attacking football from the boys in Yellow and Black but unable to get another we finished off the half 2-2

The Second half was more of the same as we looked to finish off the job and keep them out, just after the hour mark we brought Eli Fleming into the game for Barnesy and he had a great impact on controlling the backline and keeping the attackers at bay all the while we continued to pile the pressure on looking for the winner. In the 70th min we brought on Cameron Hussey for a battle scarred Marcus Jones and put the ever so Versatile Max Davidson into left back to see the match out and Cam at right half and after some more great team interplay Ants got the winner we so richly deserved in the 80th min .
The lads showed fantastic heart and desire to come from two down and back the game plan to win again playing some Champagne Football. Im extremely proud of them.
A tough battle was proven with Young Marcus going to hospital on Sunday to discover that he has a suspected fractured ankle but hes a tough lad and we will see him back as soon as he has healed.

Again Thanks SO much for the sideline support I know the lads really appreciate

Coach Kel

WCFC Wrightway Design Hammers (6) v WCFC Repac Thirsties (0)

Bryan Mackie (2)
Matt Smith (2)
Chris Annabel
​Cameron Hussey

Round 3 of the Roly Taylor championship saw the big City club derby, hammers vs thirsties, mate vs mate, even family pride going on the line as the Mackies and Morleys looked to square off against each other.  The first half was a real battle, while the hammers dominated possession they were unable to find the back of the net. Some solid defending and with Matthew Morley in goal for the thirsties making some outstanding saves kept the scores locked at 0 – 0 at the half time break. With hurricane Katrina like winds in their face in the 2nd half the hammers came out and started to play the beautiful passing game they are renowned for. Solid build up play though the midfield from Chris Annabell and Matt Smith, making his first appearance for the season, led to the breakthrough goal from Macca who latched on to a perfect cross on the penalty spot to slot home the first of the hammers 6 second half goals.  The brave Thirsties fought hard with 10 men for the remainder of the game but the hammers showed the same killer instinct as David Bain to put the game out of reach with another goal to macca, 2 to Matt Smith and one each for Chris Annabell and Cam Hussey. Hammers now sit on top of the league table with their biggest test this weekend against the only other unbeaten team WAFC weekenders.

WCFC Womens (12) v Whanganui Combined (0)

Rose Davidson (7)
Paris Moore (3)
Samantha Harrison
Mel Moore

Up against the newly formed Whanganui combined team, who had just come off a 9nil win the previous week, the city girls weren’t too sure what to expect. One thing they did know was for them to have any chance in the winning the senior cup is that it likely comes down to goal difference at the end of the rounds. So going in to this game the strategic plan was to score as many goals as they can.  The 1st half was played at a rather slow pace with so many opportunities in front of goal but nothing making its way on target or past their handy keeper. The talented Rose managed to break the deadlock which was then followed by 2 well finished goals by Paris. 2nd half and City were up 3 nil. The girls had a quick chat at half time. Noting that we should be playing our game and stepping up the tempo. Paris and Rose proved if they work well together up font then the goals will come and sure enough, Rose ending up on 7 goals and Paris getting a hat-trick. Courteney was unlucky not score after having so many shots on goal. City won a free kick just outside the box with rose sending it high into the box for Mel to header into the back of the net. Sam also added to score sheet after smashing the ball straight into the goal from outside the box.  Brenda in goal barely touching the ball and final score ending up 12 nil.  Up next City face Castlecliff which should be another encounter of plentiful goals.  ​